Numerous studies have found that babies who get constant physical contact, like hugging, kisses, being picked up, and cuddled, develop a healthier emotional life than those who do not. This is proof of the importance of touch for children as they grow up.
Stop by the Resource Library to get you FREE printable list of ideas for physical touch.
The Importance of Touch for Children
Parents have a constant opportunity to touch their children. Throughout the day it happens very naturally if you allow it to. Sitting together to read or giving a hug before you leave are simple and easy examples.
All children crave physical touch and closeness from their parents. But some kids will find it more important than others. Those children speak the physical touch love language.
Physical Touch Love Language for Children
The importance of touch starts very early. From the very beginning, a mother’s touch can calm a crying baby. That is because that touch is communicating love even though you don’t speak the same language.
Just like when you kiss your spouse or when you scratch behind your dog’s ears. They know that you love them because you made physical contact.
Children need this.
There are 5 love languages and we all need them all to one extent or another. But we each also have a primary one that means the most. For children who speak the physical touch love language, they NEED your contact.
There is no person that the importance of touch is greater for.
Tips to Show Your Love Using the Importance of Touch
- Make sure BOTH parents have physical contact with the child. This goes for both genders. It is fine for a father to hug his daughter every day. In fact, it is encouraged. Because how a father treats his daughter and sees him treat her mother, will define how she expects a man to treat her. This is exactly true for a son as well.
- As your children grow up do not shy away from showing them affection. Boys and girls alike need to still be loved. Sometimes even more so in adolescence and the teenage years. This is true for each gender in a different way. You need to teach your son the importance in touch so that he knows that it is acceptable to express emotion. And your daughter needs you to teach her that she can have relationships with boys that are casual and fun without being sexual in any way. The balance for both boys and girls will come from both mom and dad expressing love through physical touch.
- For a child who speaks the physical touch love language, physical discipline is EXTREMELY detrimental to your relationship. Choose wisely if you choose to do any type of harsh discipline such as spanking or hitting a hand. Because, even though all kids react to discipline differently, it could have a negative effect on how they perceive you if it is done incorrectly.
- Understand that boys usually go through a stage when they are resistant to affection. And that is completely normal. But in order to show them that it is okay to show their emotions and be the giver and receiver of affection, you need to instill on them the importance of touch in every relationship.
- Make sure you are not only touching your child when it is required. Like to dress them or walk across a street when they are young. Allow them to sit with you for a movie, and reach out for them when you are playing. Give them a hug before bed each night. Be careful that you don’t make them feel like you don’t care to be around them by avoiding touching them.
The physical touch love language is one of the easiest ways to express unconditional love. You can show the importance of touch for children in the simple and natural things that you do. When your child falls and scrapes his knee, give them a hug and tell them it will be okay. Brush your daughter’s shoulder when you walk past her. These touches take little effort but will mean the world to your child.
Don’t forget to stop by the Resource Library to get you FREE printable list of ideas for physical touch!